European Music Incubator – Pilot
Lab 852 and the French music incubator from Nantes - Trempolino are working together on the European Music Incubator project (or as we call it - EMI), which has started and is now in its pilot phase.
Following the study-visits set between February and May, we have developed the first step of an executive and innovative project of "break-in" in musician’s career.
The beginning of a wonderful friendship...
During the first week in June, with the support of Rendez Vous Festival, EMI prepared meetings and musical collaboration of two pre-selected musical artists: a French songwriter Mauve Lunel and her guitarist and Croatian musician Ohnokono.
The musicians would reside in Sisak on a musical residence during, and as a part of, Festival Željezara 2015. Their creative collaboration is a chance to share their musical experiences and produce a new co-author musical piece. Their individual music will be introduced and shared to the public in Željezara Institute in Sisak:
- on June 3rd at 8 pm - Mauve Lunel
- on June 4th at 8 pm - Ohnokono
After Sisak, EMI continues in Zagreb, in Jiggy Bar, where on June 6th we will have an all-day workshop intended for music professionals. Then, on the following day, June 7th - the musician's collaborative piece will be presented on the MIMO event (continuous cycles of concerts with live radio coverage and online streaming) in the Museum of Contemporary Art Zagreb.
French - Michel Bonhoure
In 1982, Michel has co-founded Melpomen, a French audio, lighting, and video company, providing rental systems for tours and events (the branch of SSE international group). From early 90’s, he’s a board operator on tour for great artists like Cesaria Evoria (between 1991 and 1995), Rhys Chatham’s 100 Guitars project or Johnny Clegg since 2001. Since 1997, he has collaborated with Trempolino on many collaborative training sessions about sound-engineering and art-direction.
Croatian coach - Valent Samardžija : http://beat-busters.com/nt-wave
European Music Incubator (EMI) will be experimentation intended to become musicians' international career accelerator by developing their entrepreneurship vision. With EMI, an individual musician's career strategy will be connected with national and local fast-moving and/or transition economic sectors.
EMI’s objectives are based on 4 key factors, which are now being expressed in Croatia:
1. Collaborative music residence of two artists (Sisak - Festival Željezara - one-week residence)
2. Collaborative learning session & professional workshop (Zagreb- Jiggy Bar)
3. Audience development // Concerts (Zagreb - MIMO at the Museum of Contemporary Art)
... the Project behind the project...
Through this project of collaboration, Trempolino and Lab 852 would like to reinforce the interaction between French and Croatian music communities. The project aims at working on three complementary levels:
• Music experimentation: how innovative art forms emerge as results of cooperation among “different” territories or communities.
• Pedagogy and professional sharing: how a collective learning session and workshop among international music professionals might be structuring for the artist’s career and economic development.
• Audience development: how exploring and introducing different tools for reaching a broader audience and stronger the bonds between musicians, community and economy, such as participatory projects, niche markets, cultural tourism, etc.
This project is also a pilot project within the framework of European Music Incubator, further collaboration between 8 European cultural organizations (including Lab852) and led by Trempolino. This project is followed by Gaelle Massicot-Bitty and Anaïs Fontanel at French Institute in Paris.